Melasma or pigmentation is a condition caused when the skin pigment melanin is produced excessively. This starts to appear as localized dark patches on the forehead, cheeks, chin, bridge of the nose, and upper lip. This area will be darker than the surrounding skin. The cause behind this can be hormonal changes, pregnancy, inherited genetics, sun damage, aging, acne, etc. And even though it can affect both men and women, the latter is the one that mostly gets affected. Fortunately, there are several options for Melasma treatment in Dubai.
Forms of Hyperpigmentation
Three are three forms of hyperpigmentation:
- Dermal – These are the deep brown spots on the skin that will be solid and dense. Some of them might appear a little ashen-grey.
- Epidermal – These are the light brown spots on the skin. They are not as dense as dermal.
- Mixture – This is the mix of dermal and epidermal spots that have a dark brown color.
Hyperpigmentation does not have any other effect on the body. Darkened skin areas are the only symptoms. This area, however, can be on your hands, face, or even your entire body. Any person, or any race or color, can have pigmentation. Genetically, Asians, Asian descent, and people with darker skin tones are at a higher risk of developing Melasma. Also, people who spend a lot of time under the sun put themselves at risk of hyperpigmentation. This is because the UV rays are known to stimulate melanocytes into hyperactive, and these cells are responsible for producing pigment or melanin.
Cause of Hyperpigmentation
Now, the most common cause of hyperpigmentation is sun damage, and it affects the body parts that are exposed to the sun frequently. However, there are some other causes as well, including the following:
- Pregnancy hormones
- Certain medications like chemotherapy drugs
- Skin trauma or irritation
- Insulin resistance
- Endocrine diseases like Addison’s disease
There are some ways of preventing hyperpigmentation. The most common one among them is limiting sun exposure. You can do this by wearing protective clothing and sunscreen SPF lotion. Here are some other methods of preventing hyperpigmentation:
- Use a brightening cream when you see hyperpigmentation or dark spots developing, but make sure you check with your specialist first.
- Don’t pick or scratch a blackhead, pimple, or insect bite.
- Get regular skin checkups and skin treatments for pigmentation.
At the Wellbeing Clinic, we offer the following options for Melasma treatment in Dubai:
1. Hollywood Nano Carbon Peel
This is an excellent treatment option for pigmentation. After the procedure, you will immediately feel that your pores are minimized, and your complexion is glowing. Also, you will need much less makeup for camouflaging the pigmented area. After each treatment, the results for pigmentation and sunspots will be getting much better.
When it comes to treating moderate as well as deep pigmentation, the Nanopulse Laser Carbon Peel sets a gold standard. The laser energy is used for targeting the pigmentation. The pigment then starts breaking and ablating. This allows the immune system of the body to remove the pigment particles naturally. If you are receiving the treatment for pigmentation, it is important that you avoid sun exposure and always wear sunblock.
2. Chemical Peels
When it comes to improving the appearance of the skin, the chemical peel is definitely one of the least invasive ways to do so. A chemical peel can help in improving the following:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne or acne scars
- Scaly patches and rough skin
- Sun-damaged skin
- Skin pigmentation
The following three types of chemical peels are used for treating pigmentation:
- Light chemical peel – When you start with this, it will give subtle improvements. But, with more treatments, the healthy glow will start to increase.
- Medium chemical peel – Your skin will be fresher looking and smoother than before.
- Deep chemical peel – It is used when you want dramatic results. However, recovery time is longer with this chemical peel.
3. Fractional CO2 resurfacing laser
This is a versatile laser used in the dermatology industry. Different parameters can be used with the fractional CO2 laser for treating the following skin conditions:
- Pigmentation (freckles, sun spots, and melasma reduction)
- Skin laxity and wrinkles
- Prevent aging process
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Stretch marks that happened after rapid weight gain, weight loss, or after pregnancy
- Acne scars (deep acne and hyperpigmented scars)
- Post-traumatic and post-surgical scars, mole, birthmarks, and warts removal
4. Tri-Fractional Radio Frequency for mild pigmentation
The heat generated during the RF Fractional treatments causes controlled damage to the different layers of the skin, encouraging natural healing processes and production of collagen, which results in the reduction of pigmentation, wrinkles, and rhytids. Treatments are quick and convenient ‘walk-in, walk-out’ procedure, delivering great results.
Through the above-mentioned treatments, you can get radiant and blemish-free skin. With the right skin treatment, you can radically improve your melasma and skin pigmentation. For more information and melasma treatment in Dubai, visit the Wellbeing Clinic.